Author Topic: Chris Froome returns adverse analytical finding for salbutamol  (Read 646 times)

Aurora_Australis

• Team: Aurora_Australis
    • View Profile
    • Aurora_Australis
Chris Froome returns adverse analytical finding for salbutamol
« on: January 07, 2018, 02:24:13 pm »
I sometimes wonder about the sudden need for everybody to have asthma medications during tours that they don't need at other times.  I wonder what will be the finding.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-returns-adverse-analytical-finding-for-salbutamol/

Aurora_Australis

• View Profile
    • Aurora_Australis
Re: Chris Froome returns adverse analytical finding for salbutamol
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 02:31:08 pm »
Btw: I'll note that Froome does have history with Michele Ferrari.

Aurora_Australis

• View Profile
    • Aurora_Australis
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 02:37:49 pm »
And here's the previous Sky poster-boy on the same "asthma medication" issue.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-says-he-didnt-take-triamcinolone-to-gain-an-unfair-advantage/

Vos

• SP0RTLIFE (1A) - - - Australia u23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 02:57:59 pm »
Interesting topic. I saw a few weeks ago this text.
In Dutch --> https://www.ad.nl/wielrennen/laat-je-niet-misleiden-de-zaak-froome-gaat-niet-over-astma~a01232ed/
In English  :

Do not be fooled, the Froome case is not about asthma

ColumnColumnist Thijs Zonneveld shines his light on the Froome issue.
Thijs Zonneveld 15-12-17, 06:40

It had been thought about. Not just a message, but a well-considered message. Chris Froome tweeted the world around twelve o'clock yesterday which betrayed a lot about him and his strategy in the salbutamol affair.

He played the asthma card.

In his tweet he said that he was sad that there were so many wrong assumptions about asthma and salbutamol use. And that he hoped that athletes with asthma would not be afraid to use their puffer now. Because asthma is not something to be ashamed of. Very sweet, at first sight. But frankly if you think about it a little longer.

Froome hides behind his condition and behind millions of asthma patients all over the planet. He tries to equate himself with all those other athletes who struggle with asthma. He pretends that his doping case is a witch hunt for asthma patients. He pushes asthma forward as the central problem of his doping affair. That is bullshit.

It seems a lot like the way Lance Armstrong hide behind his illness. Armstrong pointed to cancer and cancer patients ten years ago in doping allegations. He shifted the discussion from time to time to his illness and placed himself in a morally superior position. An attack on Armstrong was an attack on cancer patients.

Froome tries to achieve the same: he wants the legal, moral and pharmaceutical discussion of the coming months not to be about him, but about asthma. You can already draw the defense of him and of Sky: the limit of 1000 nanograms of salbutamol per milliliter is too low, more research has to be done into salbutamol and the consequences of dehydration. They are going to raise themselves as the defenders of the interests of asthma patients.

That is a farce.

There are numerous athletes with different forms of asthma. Asthma and asthma-like disorders are common in endurance sports in many cases: the lungs are stimulated more and more quickly over the years, especially when exercising in extreme conditions. All those athletes use salbutamol and there is nothing strange about that. But it rarely or never happens that too high a concentration is found in their urine. And certainly not such an idiot high value (2000 nanograms per milliliter) as at Froome. If the limit value of 1000 would be too low and dehydration was really a problem, it would have to rain salbutamolaffaires.

Do not be fooled. The doping case of Froome is not about asthma.

It is about whether he has abused asthma to cycle harder.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 03:11:48 pm by Vos »

Aurora_Australis

• View Profile
    • Aurora_Australis
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 02:38:20 am »
This just keeps getting better.

Quote: "Chris Froome set to argue that kidney problem caused adverse salbutamol test"

Yep sure, the kidneys were malfunctioning, and he suddenly performed better.  I guess that all cyclists should have malfunctioning kidneys now.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/chris-froome-reportedly-set-to-argue-that-kidney-problem-caused-adverse-salbutamol-test-365861

Aurora_Australis

• View Profile
    • Aurora_Australis
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 03:14:15 am »
I want to thank Sky & the UCI for their Froome drug affair, and the TdF performance, because it's cured me of the desire to ever wanting to stay up late to watch any cycling event ever again.  I know it's just yet another example of two sets of rules, that cheats prosper as long as they're "champions", but it doesn't mean I have to watch it.
And as such, I wish to thank them because I won't watch, and won't be tired the next morning.  Thank you Sky & UCI.