Author Topic: Australia: U21 S39  (Read 1320 times)

Aurora_Australis

• Team: Aurora_Australis
    • View Profile
    • Aurora_Australis
Re: Australia: U21 S39
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2018, 11:38:29 am »
Well they obviously haven't seen the pic I found of you Vos (see it in the Dutch English NT thread).

Anyway, seriously, great team & results this season Dirk.  Can't see anybody catching Australia now.

Vos

• SP0RTLIFE (1A) - - - Australia u23
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2018, 11:41:12 am »
Read my post better and click the link, AA, but I can understand that you were just looking at the picture instead of the text.  :D

Aurora_Australis

• Team: Aurora_Australis
    • View Profile
    • Aurora_Australis
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2018, 12:39:08 pm »
Yeah I was just looking at the picture, so sue me.

Dirk

• boertjies (inactive) OffTheFront (active)
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2018, 09:26:36 pm »
him/her
:))
him/her
Haha, I typed "him" first but then I remembered about those pics and wern't sure anymore so edited my original post to be safe :P

Dirk

• View Profile
    • a
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2018, 10:02:30 am »
Earlier this weeks I figured out how to use excel pivots to make my NT lists.
110 u21 cyclist, thus 20 more since last draft.

Marc Horwill, Colin Palmer and James Butcher are some of the big new names.
I highlighted new riders since previous draft in green.

U21 top 10 list coming later today.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 10:15:09 pm by Dirk »

Dirk

• View Profile
    • a
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2018, 12:42:10 pm »
Here is the U21 top 10 list.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 10:15:25 pm by Dirk »

Vos

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2018, 12:51:49 pm »
Perhaps an u20 list instead of u21 ? The u21 list would not be much different than the one I posted 4 days ago.

Dirk

• View Profile
    • a
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2018, 01:24:09 pm »
Both is there and thought the u21 list might be interesting since I have two additional categories and my GV % might be diffferent. But perhaps I should first post the u21 and then the u20.

Vos

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2018, 01:42:39 pm »
Where ? Or still to come ?

About the Australian percentages, I m not saying they are perfect, and I m not even 100% sure if what I say next is true ;
but I think for example WiC adjusted many percentages in the Australian evaluator, and he is a very experienced manager who knows the percentages pretty good. Of course for everyone it is estimating, because the percentages are not known or published.

And very good that you added two categories. Excellent initiative. 8)
I hope one of them is the climbing TT, that race often appears on the NT calendar. ( I think I know almost exactly those percentages, so no problem to me, but very helpfull for other/future Australian NT managers )

Dirk

• View Profile
    • a
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2018, 05:20:33 pm »
Hi Vos,
Perhaps my images aren't showing above  ???
I am using my own percentages but started years ago with the "Argo" percentages and tweaked them as I learned move.
Because I trained Sprinters and Cobblers in the past, I believe my percentages for Sprint, Sprint-Hill, Cobble-Hill and Cobble is very good and more realistic.
Even for hill the normal "Pure Hill" calculators for instance put 0 flat in their percentages but I have found that flat should be around 5.

WinterIsComing

• WiC - 2C | Sons of Anarchy - Class of XXXV
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2018, 05:57:56 pm »
Hi Vos,
Perhaps my images aren't showing above  ???
I am using my own percentages but started years ago with the "Argo" percentages and tweaked them as I learned move.
Because I trained Sprinters and Cobblers in the past, I believe my percentages for Sprint, Sprint-Hill, Cobble-Hill and Cobble is very good and more realistic.
Even for hill the normal "Pure Hill" calculators for instance put 0 flat in their percentages but I have found that flat should be around 5.

I saw the lists when I was on my Samsung 8 phone.
Now I don't see them on my laptop (Firefox).

I didn't really tweak the percentages myself. I used the percentages from the Netherlands NT sheets, a cooperative result from some Dutch old school players. And frankly, there is no such thing as the right percentage, as every stage accounts for different numbers. Some of the icons are a bit off as well when compared to their usage in the regular calendar, in my opinion.

As long as you use the same percentages if you'd like to compare cyclists, everything is fine. To compare generations of cyclists to each other, it's useful that you use the same percentages as well.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 06:00:21 pm by WinterIsComing »

Dirk

• View Profile
    • a
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2018, 10:19:37 pm »
Ok, thanks for the info WiC.
Seems like there was some conversion from png to .webp format which all browsers does not support, I am just showing the plain .png link now and hopefully it works now.

@Vos, perhaps I will show Climb-TT instead of Tour or the Flat-Cobble-Hill. You guys can let me know what you would like to see rather  ;)

Vos

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2018, 11:05:49 pm »
Climb TT, the other two are, hmmmmm, let's say "debatable", especially Tour.
And I can see the lists now.  :)
The lay out/design looks very good, and smart to add the xp, especially with the u21 that can be usefull to encourage managers to ride their talents a lot.

About the GV ; even without calculating the GV it is almost in all cases clear who the team captain should be and who to select as helpers.
Australia is just a little CFF country, not too many choices.  ;)
But perhaps to me it is clear and to more unexperienced managers not so clear. I played this game a long time without evaluator so I developed some "feeling" about this game. In fact, I still play this game on gut-feeling, also as Australian NT manager.
The GV could not even be decive in who to select as helper.
But of course GV is very important, and knowing approximately the GV is very handy together with knowing the subsurface bonus in order to use the right amount of energie points in a section.
So knowing exactly the GV, that is overrated in my opion. Approximately is enough in allmost all cases.

About your found 5% on flat with pure hills races.
There was a discussion about this on the forum. Maybe a long time ago because I don't remember it exactly. So I could be wrong  that I remember that Oska himself confirmed that in every race flat counts at least a few precent. So also in the pure hills races and also in the pure mountain races, I found out a long time ago that is true by comparing the achievements of my own riders.
He did not say how many precent, he said just a few, so I always calculate 3 or 4% in a pure hills or climb race. That is ; when I calculate something, that does not happen so often. So your found 5% could be better as my 3 or 4% ; it does not matter in almost all cases. And even with the very few exceptions that it does matter, it does not matter much.
By the way, I had this question a while ago of a beginner, if flat counted also in a pure climbing race. He thought it was logical flat counted too a little because in real life mountain races there is always a little bit of flat. He was told by a very experienced manager that he was wrong about that, but I replied him that he was right. So this shows that even some experienced managers don't know this.
Nothing wrong with that, because I m also experienced and still sometimes I learn new things about this game.
And in my opinion it is better to play this game on gut feeling instead of calculating everything. A lot of arguments for this, one of them is that you have to judge when to take risk and when not to. And calculating everything is impossible, because there are a lot of bonusses and luck counts in each race also. And nobody knows exactly how it is calculated ; that also applies to the GV calculation. Nobody can claim they have the exact percentages. It always will be estimating and guessing, some are better than others in doing that.

edit ; and I really like it that the percentages are not known or published, cycling has to keep its charme and it must be from time to time unpredictable.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 11:15:12 pm by Vos »

Vos

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2018, 11:26:01 pm »
And well done that you highlighted the recent draft cyclists in green. It confirms that this was a very good draft period of Australia.  8)

Dirk

• View Profile
    • a
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2018, 10:19:33 am »
Race 7 - GP Industria
I believe we have a few good riders for this race  8) . Below is the riders I plan so far to participate in the race.
Tactics will be a tricky operation so hope if pans out good.

Pos   Name      Age    Rating   Team         Role      
1   Brian Clickett      20      58.2      OffTheFront      Leader   
2   Freddie Middleton      20      56.3      FrierAccounting      Dom   
3   Peter Brubaker      20      55.3      GloriadeMar      Free   
4   James Omole      20      55.0      CCT      Dom   
5   Ike Johnston      20      54.6      OffTheFront      Dom   
6   Fergus Farmer      19      53.4      cyclingpro      Dom   
7   Rick Pocock      19      52.5      BignigProCycling      Dom   
8   Marc Horwill      19      51.7      Argonautjes      Dom   
9   James Butcher      19      51.3      BLOEMENAANDEMITTE      Dom   

Results
Brian Clickett had a good race, being in a breakaway of 3 riders since S2. Unfortunately no extra points from free roles.

Pos   Name   Team Points
3   Brian Clickett   OffTheFront    225

Columbia had a good day in the field with a 1st, 10th and 18th position and making me feel a little less comfortable in the general rankings. But Australia is still 555 points ahead and the next two races should be good ones for us.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:58:50 am by Dirk »